Electrical fire damages Vandergrift family home

Electrical fire damages Vandergrift family home
Electrical fire damages Vandergrift family home

A Vandergrift family of six walked out of their home after it was damaged by a fire on Thursday.

The fire at 429 Walnut St., a two-story home on the corner of Walnut and Irving streets, was reported around 4:30 p.m., a Westmoreland County 911 dispatcher said. Firefighters from several voluntary companies intervened.

A couple, a grandparent and three children – ages 7 weeks, 1 year and 4 years old – live in the home with a few pets, according to Vandergrift Fire Chief No. 2 Albert Wells.

The mother and children were home at the time of the fire, said Randy Dunmire, chief of Vandergrift No. 1. He said the woman heard smoke detectors go off and ushered everyone out.

“They were very well protected and it paid off for them,” Dunmire said.

No one was injured, Wells said.

Wells said the fire was caused by an overheated electrical outlet in an attic bedroom.

Family members who were home at the time were downstairs and escaped out the back, Wells said. After police arrived and checked that no one else was inside, officers closed the back door, which Wells says helped control the fire.

Wells said a mattress in the attic bedroom was burned and there was minimal damage to the second floor. The roof was intact; firefighters smashed the front attic window for ventilation.

“It’s fixable,” he said.

Wells said the family owns the home and has insurance. They couldn’t stay in the house for the night because the electricity meter had been cut off. Wells did not know where they would be staying.

Brian C. Rittmeyer is a staff writer for Tribune-Review. You can contact Brian by email at [email protected] or through Twitter .

. Electrical fire damages Vandergrift family home

PREV Natural gas futures rally continues as traders clear bearish stock data
NEXT Pakistan’s melting glacier ‘explosions’ have tripled this year and worsen flooding