In what (if true) is a remarkable example of adding insult to injury, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are said to have learned they had not been invited to a state reception at the palace from Buckingham in exactly the same way as the rest of us – by reading about it in the press.
Phew. Phew x infinity.
According Page 6Royal sources say Harry and Meghan were originally invited to the event, which is scheduled for Sunday evening, the day before the Queen’s funeral.
“Harry and Meghan actually got the invite and nobody told them they weren’t invited,” a royal source told the outlet.
This follows reports earlier this week suggesting that Harry and Meghan were originally invited to the event, but that invitation was withdrawn as the reception will be restricted to “working royals only”.
FWW, The telegraph reported that it was not even clear ‘why they had received an invitation for an occasion which royal aides insisted they weren’t supposed to attend’ and that Sussex sources were candid “bewildered” by the whole sticky situation as palace aides still insisted “they weren’t invited and not expected to show up.”
According to the new Page 6 report, however, not only did Harry and Meghan definitely feel like they were welcome at the reception, but they apparently learned that they were in fact not on the media guest list, instead, you know, to be personally informed of the alleged mix up.
“I was told they only found out they weren’t invited by reading news reports,” a second source, described as a “palace insider,” told Page 6.
The guest list at the reception is said to be limited to members of the royal family and heads of state paying tribute to the late Queen (expected VIPs include Joe Biden, French President Emmanuel Macron and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau).
You might also like
The article is in French
. Harry Meghan have apparently learned that they were not guests reception palace Buckingham by press